Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Reading Comprehension Much?


Today I'm experiencing Email Rage.

Essentially I was asked to respond via email with some information. I did so. Some of the responses were intentionally vague given the nature of the situation being discussed, and I explained in the very same email the reason for the lack of detail in some of the bulletpoints. I explained that I would need clarification on certain points before providing more details.

I was most surprised, then, when I received a curt email reply in which I was accused of lacking "eye for detail". And he didn't say which part or parts he found insufficient.

Um... dude.. I just... I just freaking explained to you why... GAAAHHHHH *HEAD EXPLODES*

I can't respond to this email without sounding incredibly snarky. I mean, what do I say? Here are some of my knee-jerk thoughts...

"In other words..." (then repeat what I already said.)

"You need to re-read my response".

Talk to the person like they are a four year old and spell it out.

"Excuse me, but you didn't detail where I was missing detail."

"I apologize for not explicitly explaining the incredibly obvious reason for omitting certain details. I had assumed you were more savvy than that, and that you would understand this thing I call "tact".

In an ideal, literate world:

If this person had read my email carefully, or perhaps, THOUGHT about what he was reading, he would have completely understood why I left out certain details, and would have provided the information necessary for me to reply again with the details he so desperately craved.

In the real world, what I really want to reply is:

What you have dismissed as my lack of "EYE FOR DETAIL", I perceive as your lack of "READING COMPREHENSION".

No comments:

Post a Comment