Monday, August 29, 2011

Joe Calderone stands in for Lady Gaga at the VMAs

I'm feeling pretty smug, since a week ago I wondered when Joe Calderone was going to make his first live appearance. I wasn't disappointed.

Joe explains his appearance at the VMAS:




I liked that Joe stayed in character for the whole show. But what I liked BEST was just how uncomfortable it seemed to make a lot of people. Some of the dumbstruck stares in the audience were simply priceless. Lady Gaga is often dismissed as a shock artist, but I'm not sure why that's such a bad thing, really.

"In fashion, you know you have succeeded when there is an element of upset." - Coco Chanel

If she is a shock artist, so be it. She's good at it. (I would prefer to call it "pushing the envelope", but call it what you will.) And underneath it all, she is truly a good musician. How many other pop superstars write their own music? I don't think you can dismiss her styles and antics as supports for weak music. She knows how to churn out pop hits. And as for the extras... what's so wrong with being entertained? It's not a band-aid for the music, it's an embellishment. It's all part of a performance, which I think Joe proved perfectly last night.

"I'm not real. I'm theater." - Gaga, quoted by Joe








No comments:

Post a Comment