Monday, August 15, 2011

Drinking is stupid, but necessary

For my life, anyways.

I don't know how much longer I can hold out at my soul sucking job.

Today wasn't even that terrible for me, but it was terrible for my coworker, and she really doesn't deserve it. Some awful woman called her a bitch repeatedly because the customer paid her bill late and got a late fee. She even admitted that she had received a phonecall reminder, but she was "on vacation" so she couldn't do anything about it.

Oh, you were on vacation? Well then, let me just refer to the clause in the contract that states that customers shall be exempt from late fees if they're on vacation.... oh wait! I forgot. There is no such clause.

You'll just have to do what the rest of us do, lady. I pay my bills BEFORE I go on vacation. I don't go on vacation a lot, since I don't have a lot of money, and since I don't have a lot of money, I am pretty careful to pay my bills on time to avoid late fees.

That phrase "the customer is always right" is a horrible catchphrase that has caught on with American consumers and over the last few decades, seems to have made people think that they can act however they want in any setting. They think that because they are a customer they have the right to scream obscenities at staff people? To belittle them, to threaten "I'll have you job over this" when the person is only DOING their job?

It's ridiculous and it's out of control. Sure, there is lots of justifiable rage directed at unfeeling corporations. I get that. I've been there. But when something is your own fucking fault? Own up to it. Asking politely for a fee to be waived is one thing. Calling the staffperson a fucking bitch and asking "How do you get through life being such a bitch?" is another thing entirely.

You catch more flies with honey, Honey.

I thought behaviour was bad in restaurants and foodservice establishments. Where the customers think that the employees are little better than scumsucking dirt. I thought that going to work in a nice, modern, professional office, people might behave a little better. Wow, was I wrong!

People can't do math. People don't listen to reason. People don't care about logical arguments. People act like selfish bratty children in public and have no shame.

I don't like drinking, it's not good for me, but for god's sakes... I don't know how I would get through life without a cold one at the end of a long day in which I am not getting paid nearly enough to have my soul shredded to pieces every day by these idiots.

No comments:

Post a Comment