Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A timely discovery

I could not have asked for a more timely discovery than happening upon the website 'Everything is a Remix.' It's a video series, of which there are currently three, but there's a fourth on the way. It explains the questions I asked in my recent post (Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal), about 1,000 better than I could.

It examines how creativity does not occur in a vacuum, but how all creative works and inventions copy, borrow, outright steal, or just combine previous ideas.

I was continually amazed and impressed by the series, but one of the bits that stood out to me was this:

"Hunter S. Thompson got started by re-typing "The Great Gatsby" just to get the feel of writing a great novel."

Wow!

Anyways, you gotta watch these, they're absolutely fascinating.





No comments:

Post a Comment